This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclaimer.
Want to teach the English language online with Magic Ears? Here is a summary of everything you need to know before you apply to Magic Ears.
You may also be interested in: The best English Teaching Companies in 2022.
Teach ESL online to Chinese children between the ages of 4 to 12. Online ESL Company Magic Ears plans and prepares all the lesson material for you so that you can log on and teach flexibly from home!
Magic Ears pay their teachers between $18-$26 per hour. Pay for South African teachers is considerably lower, about $12 per hour. Teachers can earn more from bonuses and incentives!
Teachers have one-on-four classes with children. Magic Ears book the teacher’s classes, which means that teachers will rarely have the same student but can rely on a booked schedule.
There is no limit to the number of hours teachers can teach every week. Work as little or as much as you want.
- Native English Speaker (including South African teachers) with a neutral accent
- One year of teaching experience in any setting (e.g., coaching, mentoring, volunteering).
- Bachelor’s degree in any subject, or pursuing a bachelor’s degree
- Have ESL certification with a valid certificate number
- Computer (Mac or Windows) with at least 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5 4th generation and above
- Headset with microphone
- HD webcam
- Stable internet connection (20Mpbs download and 5Mpbs upload required)
- Wired ethernet internet connection recommended
Do an internet speed test. Magic Ears will also perform tests to ensure you meet the technical standards to teach on their platform.
Remember, if you don’t meet these requirements, then you won’t get hired!
Magic Ears have many teacher signups every month, so it’s important that you at least meet the basic requirements.
Be mindful of the GMT+8 timezone. This will likely mean classes are in the early morning for US and Canadian residents.
Most students are online at 7 pm-8:30 pm on weekdays, and 9 am-9 pm on weekends (GMT+8 Beijing Time). Teachers can also work their regular teaching hours, which start at 5 pm.
Steps for Applying to Magic Ears
The total time taken to fill out your application is less than one week. Allow for two days for processing at each application step.
- Sign up to Magic Ears and enter your basic information (2 minutes)
- Complete a recorded or live demo interview (3-5 minutes)
- Complete a trial demo (10-15 minutes)
- Submit documentation and background check
- Sign the contract
The demo allows you to demonstrate your teaching skills. You can find lots of examples on Magic Ear’s Youtube Channel. The trial class will be your first lesson with a real trial student. Your mentor provides feedback after the trial class.
The contract duration is 6 months. Teach whenever you want during this time, and if you perform well during this period, you may be offered another 6-month contract.
Teachers who work for Magic Ears are considered independent contractors. Teachers are responsible for paying their own taxes in accordance with their tax jurisdiction.
Teachers are paid on the 10th of each month. Teachers can use their Paypal or their bank account to receive payments.
Magic Ears Teacher Group
We cover some more information on Magic Ears in our other articles. Please feel free to click the links below to learn more information about Magic Ears. Apply now and finish your application at any time!
Good luck with your job application!