This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclaimer.
Want to teach the English language online with Palfish? Here is a summary of everything you need to know before you apply to Palfish.
Teach ESL online to Chinese children between the ages of 3 to 12. Online ESL Company Palfish has all the planned lesson material for you so that you can log on and teach flexibly from home with little to no preparation!
Palfish is an app that typically pays their teachers between $16-$22 per hour. Earnings are dependent on the number of hours teachers work each month.
The more hours teachers work, the higher the earning potential! Bonuses and incentives available if you achieve certain targets, like new student signups or teaching at peak hours.
Teachers have one-to-one, 25-minute classes with children. They can also teach adults via free talk, enabling teachers to earn even more. There are various ways to earn on the platform, such as live streaming, free talk, and teaching the kids course.
There is no limit to the number of hours teachers can teach each week. Teachers can work on a flexible basis, but they must work a minimum of 3.5 hours weekly.
- Native English Speaker with a neutral accent (Ireland, UK, US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada)
- English speakers from the Philippines are eligible to teach The Kids Course for Filipinos.
- Non-native English speakers are eligible to teach “Freetalk”
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Have ESL certification with a valid certificate number
- Tablet or phone (iOs or Android) to download the app
- Stable internet connection (wired connection preferred)
Remember, if you don’t meet these requirements, then you won’t get hired! Luckily, Palfish doesn’t require a degree, so more English speakers are qualified to teach on the platform.
Palfish has many teacher signups every month, so it’s important that you at least meet the basic requirements.
Be mindful of the GMT+8 timezone. This will likely mean classes are in the early morning for US and Canadian residents.
Students are usually online from 5:30 pm-9:00 pm on weekdays, and 9 am-9 pm on weekends (GMT+8 Beijing Time), although teachers can choose to work more than this.
Steps for Applying to Palfish
The total time taken to fill out your application is less than one week.
- Sign up to Palfish and enter your basic information
- Perform a demo lesson (with no student)
- Submit documentation and background check
- Sign the contract
The interview allows you to demonstrate your teaching skills. While talking about yourself, you will also be asked to teach some mock slides.
You can practice the mock slides ahead of time to prepare for the interview. The interviewer will let you know after a few days if you have passed the interview.
Tips for The Demo Lesson
- Wear a blue shirt (Palfish company color)
- Smile and encourage the student
- Teach for 25-minutes if possible
- Appropriate speaking speed
- Frequent use of TPR
- Have a good teaching background
There are great demo lesson samples on Youtube to check out to make sure you get the job!
Teachers who work for Palfish are considered independent contractors. Teachers are responsible for paying their own taxes as per their tax jurisdiction.
Palfish pays in RMB directly to a Chinese bank account or via Payoneer if teachers reside outside of China.
We cover some more information on Palfish in our other articles. Please feel free to click the links below to learn more about Palfish. Don’t forget to apply!
Good luck with your job application!