This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclaimer.
Want to teach the English language online on Preply? Here is a summary of everything you need to know before you apply to Preply.
Teach online to children and adults from all over the world. Online educational platform Preply pairs students with teachers. Teachers must plan and prepare their own lesson material and charge their own rates.
Teachers typically charge $15 to $25 per hour teaching on Preply, but each teacher decides their own rate to charge. Students can buy bundles of lessons from a teacher they like, and Preply takes an 18%-33% commission on earnings, depending on the number of hours you teach each month.
Preply does not focus exclusively on ESL. There are over 100 subjects to teach, such as art, photography, law, public speaking, science, business, and more.
There is no limit to the number of hours teachers can teach each week. According to Preply, the most popular tutors earn $550 per week.
- Native or non-native English speaker
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- ESL certification such as TEFL, TESOL, CELTA (preferred)
Preply looks for teachers who can make a remarkable difference in students’ lives by sharing knowledge and providing a personalized learning experience.
If you work…
- 0-20 hours per month- there is a 33% commission to pay on earnings
- 21-50 hours per month- there is a 28% commission to pay on earnings
- 201-400 hours per month- there is a 22% commission to pay on earnings
- 400+ hours per month- there is an 18% commission to pay on earnings
If you teach a trial student, Preply will take 100% commission to cover their satisfaction guarantee policy. If students are not happy, they can request a new tutor or a refund.
There are no peak hours at Preply as students are from all around the world. The peak hours for you would depend on you and your students’ location.
Teachers can work 24/7, as little or as many hours as they want.
How do I apply for Preply?
The Preply application process can be completed fairly quickly.
- Set up a Preply profile
- Wait for approval
Make sure to include all the relevant information in your Preply profile, including a video and photo, your availability, and a written description about what you offer.
The video should be 50 to 100 seconds in length.
Your profile needs to be at least 70% complete to get approved on Preply.
Tips for Writing Your Profile
- Write an impressive profile description about yourself, your education, your experience, and your interests
- Write a compelling headline.
- Describe your teaching methods.
- Do not link your contact details or external links.
- Be friendly and inviting.
- Have a strong call to action to encourage students to book a class with you.
Tips for Your Photo
- Smile and look at the camera.
- Frame your head and shoulders.
- Use good lighting and a plain background.
Tips for the Video
- Record horizontally
- Position the camera at eye-level
- Invite the students to book a class with you
- Be nice and friendly.
For more video advice, see Preply’s official resource.
Try to be different in your profile. Remember, you are trying to stand out and show why students should choose you over the competition.
I encourage you to research copywriting and make sure your sales pitch is compelling, especially if you want to charge a higher price.
Teachers who work for Preply are considered independent contractors. Teachers are responsible for paying their own taxes as per their tax jurisdiction.
We cover some more information on Preply in our other articles. Please feel free to click the links below to learn more about Preply. Don’t forget to apply!
Good luck with your job application!