A preposition is a word that shows the relationship between a noun or pronoun and some other word or element in a sentence.
If there are two or more prepositional words, it is a compound preposition.
They can consist of two-word combinations (instead of) or three-word (in addition to) combinations.
Here are some examples of compound prepositions:
- In front of
- According to (meaning: as stated by)
- Instead of (meaning: as an alternative)
- Ahead of (meaning: in front of or before)
- In view of (meaning: because of)
- As of (meaning: indicates the time/date when something starts)
- On top of
- On account of (meaning: because of)
- In lieu of (meaning: instead)
- In accordance with (meaning: something we are complying to)
- Because of
- Along with (meaning: together with)
- By means of (meaning: a particular method or process of)
- In addition to (meaning: when you want to say another item connected to what you are talking about)
- Rather than (meaning: a contrary choice or wish)
- Relating to
- As a result of
- Out of (meaning: from)
- In spite of (meaning: without being affect by something)
- Next to
- Apart from (meaning: except for; when you are making an exception)
- On behalf of (meaning: used when speaking for someone)
Examples of Compound Prepositions in Sentences
- My house is in front of the supermarket.
- According to the weather report, it is going to rain tomorrow.
- Instead of going to the beach, we went shopping.
- The plane is ahead of schedule.
- She was sick, so her friend stood in place of her.
- The store is open as of today.
- She stacked the heavy boxes on top of each other.
- She bought a new dress in addition to the shoes.
- In spite of his parents’ protests, he went to the concert.
- I couldn’t go to school on account of the blizzard.
- The business gave their employees bonuses in lieu of holiday time.
- The project was completed in accordance with the guidelines.
- The show was cancelled because of the snowstorm.
- The date was postponed on account of the speaker’s illness.
- We went to the movies along with our friends.
- She paid the bills by means of snail mail.
- He bought the new video game in addition to the old ones.
- He enjoys meeting friends rather than staying home.
- My assignment is related to geometry.
- The examinations have been rescheduled as a result of the extreme weather conditions.
- He stood out of his friend’s way.
- In spite of the weather, they went out.
- In addition to studying hard, he played video games all night long.
- Instead of going to the movies, we stayed home and watched TV.
- I bought the book on account of it being cheap.
- The book is next to the table.
- Apart from the high prices, it was an enjoyable experience.
- On behalf of the students, I would like to say thank you for everything you’ve done.