We can find many ways to say good night. Some of them are more suitable for children, while others are more appropriate when we want to talk in a more romantic or humorous way.
Without further ado, here are many different ways to say good night!
Different Ways to Say Good Night
No matter how old we are, we can use any of these expressions to wish a good rest:
- Have a good night!
- Have a good sleep!
- Sleep well!
- Night night.
- Nighty night.
- Sleep tight!
- Sweet dreams!
- I hope you sleep well.
- Sleep like a baby.
- Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.
- Good night, sleep tight, and don’t let the bedbugs bite.
- Dream sweet dreams.
- Have sweet dreams.
- Have a restful night.
- Get some sleep.
- Rest well.
- Dream big.
Funny Ways to Say Good Night
Here are some lighthearted or funny ways to say good night to your friends or family:
- Go to bed, sleepyhead!
- Nighty night!
- Don’t let the bed bugs bite!
- May the snores be with you.
Ways to Say Good Night to Children
The expressions we use to say goodnight to children are way more tender and thoughtful.
- Good night and sweet dreams.
- Time for a good night’s kiss!
- Good night and don’t let the bed bugs bite!
- In just a few minutes, you will be in a land where fairies dance and mermaids sing their sweet songs. Just close your eyes and go to sleep.
- Go to sleep, my little angel.
- Let me come and tuck you in.
- Give me a kiss and close your eyes because it is time for beddy-bye.
- I will sing you a lullaby until you fall asleep. (If you want, you can choose any lullaby in particular that your child likes).
- Close your eyes now my love because it’s time for beddy-bye.
- Sweet dreams, my prince/ my princess.
- Sleep snug as a bug in a rug / Snuggy as a buggy in a ruggy (don’t worry, I’ll explain this one later!)
If you are religious, you may always want to remind them to pray or tell them that you will pray with them.
- Bless us with rest, oh Lord!
If you enjoy this, make sure to check out the related article: Good night or Goodnight: What’s the Difference?
Formal Ways to Say Good Night
- Have a pleasant night!
- Good night and take care!
Ways to Say Good Night to Romantic Partners
The good night expressions we choose when telling our partner that we love him or her are sweet and romantic. We can say them in a jokey, affectionate way, depending on our tone of voice.
They might sound a little corny, but see which ones you like best!
- I can’t wait to see you again.
- Go to sleep, my dear boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife. I will kiss you tomorrow!
- Good night my love. Have sweet dreams and think of me.
- If it were up to me, I would stay up all night with you.
- I love you. Good night!
- Good night my love, I can’t wait to meet you tomorrow!
- Sweet dreams my prince/my princess.
- Let’s go to sleep and wait for the sun to rise so we can see each other again.
- I want to dream about you tonight.
- When I am alone in my bed, I imagine myself next to you and fall asleep with a smile on my face.
- I can’t wait to wake up next to you!
- I wish we did not have to sleep apart.
Good night, good night. Parting is such sweet sorrow that I’ll say good night until tonight becomes tomorrow.Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
Sleep Phrases and Their Meanings
Where do these sleep phrases come from and what do they mean?
Good night, sleep tight
This phrase originates back to a time when mattresses were held together by ropes, and “tight” referred to the tightness of the ropes. “Sleep tight” is another way of saying “sleep well.”
Time to hit the hay!
This sleep phrase means that it is time to go to bed. It originates from the 18th and 19th centuries when people slept on mattresses of hay or straw.
Time to hit the sack!
This sleep phrase is an alternative to “time to hit the sack” and it means the same.
Sleep like a log
A log is a part of a tree, such as a branch, that has fallen. A log doesn’t move much, just like a person who is asleep in bed.
“Sleep like a log” also means sleep well, have a restful night sleep.
Sleep snug as a bug in a rug!
This means to sleep cozy and comfortably. This old expression is thought to indirectly refer to a moth larva feeding inside a rolled-up carpet.
The moth larvae are snug in their food source, just like you are snug in your bed!
A baby-talk word for bedtime.
Ways to Say Good Night in Other Languages
- Bonne nuit (French)
- 잘 자! (Korean)
- Buenas noches! (Spanish)
- 晚安 (Chinese)
- Gute Nacht (German)
- Boa noite (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Buonanotte (Italian)
In conclusion, you can see that there are many different ways to say good night.
The phrases we use to wish our family and friends a good night greatly depend on our relationship with them.
But no matter who says it, the most important thing is that they mean it!
What other ways do you say good night? What is good night in your language?
- How To Respond To “Hope All is Well”
- Have a Great Weekend or Have a Nice Weekend?
- “Play Stupid Games Win Stupid Prizes” Phrase Meaning and Origin
Caitriona Maria is an education writer and founder of TPR Teaching, crafting inspiring pieces that promote the importance of developing new skills. For 7 years, she has been committed to providing students with the best learning opportunities possible, both domestically and abroad. Dedicated to unlocking students' potential, Caitriona has taught English in several countries and continues to explore new cultures through her travels.