Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning that when you make a purchase, I earn a small commission. Affiliate links cost you nothing to use and help keep my content free. It is a win-win for us both! For more info, see the Disclosure Policy.
What does the phrase “hope to see you soon” mean, and how may you answer it?
Let’s discuss some excellent ways to respond to “hope to see you soon” and other formal and informal ways to say this expression.
What Does “Hope to See You Soon” Mean?
When we say “hope to see you soon,” we express our desire to meet up with the person again in the near future.
This phatic phrase is typically used as a friendly farewell, but it can also be used to express other sentiments, such as excitement or anticipation.
The farewell “hope to see you soon” is said in informal situations via text, email, letter, or conversation.
When To Use “Hope To See You Soon”
The expression “hope to see you soon” is typically used informally between friends, family, or acquaintances. It can be used as a farewell or an expression of excitement for future plans.
This is a polite expression to use when you hope to meet a person again, even if no formal arrangement is made.
Sometimes people don’t want to make specific plans, so this phrase can be a way of expressing that you want to meet up again without putting any pressure on the other person.
How to Respond To “Hope To See You Soon”
There are many ways to respond to the phrase “hope to see you soon.” Some examples include:
- “I hope so!”
- I hope we meet someday too!
- “I look forward to seeing you soon too!”
- “It would be great to catch up in person soon.”
- “I’m excited for our next meeting/hangout/etc.”
- “Take care, and I hope to see you soon!”
- “I can’t wait to see you again soon!”
- “Would be great to catch up soon!”
- Let me know when you are free, and we will catch up again soon!
- “Can’t wait till we meet up again!”
- “Looking forward to our next chat/meeting/etc.”
It is always polite to show gratitude for the sentiment expressed by the phrase “hope to see you soon.” You might also consider following up with an invitation or some other indication of interest in meeting soon, like “when?”
If you are not sure or do not wish to see them again, you may want to give a more neutral response, such as:
- “Maybe we will. You never know in this life!”
- “That would be nice.”
- We’ll see what happens!
Remain polite and respectful when responding to this phrase. Or say nothing at all.
Note: I used a tool called Jasper.ai to help me generate some of the best responses to “hope all is well.” Maybe it is something worth checking out!
Struggling to understand and communicate with native English speakers? Innovative Language provides short lessons for fast and effective learning. Get personalized guidance from a teacher and complete it at your own pace.
Alternatives To “Hope To See You Soon”
There are many ways to say, “hope to see you soon.” Some alternatives include:
- “Take care! Talk to you soon!”
- “I’ll be in touch!”
- “Get in touch soon!”
- “Speak to you soon!”
- “I’ll talk to you soon.”
- “Catch up soon!”
- “We should catch up soon.”
- We’ll have to meet up soon.
- “I’ll talk to you later.”
- “I’ll see you tomorrow/later this week/etc.”
- “Don’t be a stranger!”
- “See you again soon!”
- “Let’s meet up soon!”
- “Call me next time you’re in the area!”
As you can see, there are many ways to express your desire to meet up again with someone. No matter which phrase or alternative you choose, they are friendly and polite ways to end a conversation.
Formal Ways to Say “Hope To See You Soon”
If you want to express this sentiment in a more formal setting, there are a few different ways to do so. Some examples include:
- “Until we meet again.”
- “I hope we stay in touch.”
- “It would be great if we could meet up again soon.”
- “Please keep me posted on your future plans.”
- “Let’s plan to meet again soon.”
- “I’ll be in touch in the future.”
- “In the meantime, let’s stay in touch and meet up soon!”
In conclusion, the phrase “hope to see you soon” is a friendly way of saying goodbye or expressing excitement about future plans.
As you can see, there are many ways to express your enthusiasm or anticipation when someone says, “hope to see you soon.” Whether you’re replying via text, email or in person, try to be polite and sincere in your response.
If you’re interested, follow up with an indication that you would like to meet soon. Have fun using this phrase and experiment with some of the alternatives!
You may also be interested in…
- 20 Best Ways to Respond to “How Is Your Day Going”
- See You Friday or See You on Friday: Which is Correct?
- Best “What’s Up” Responses (Meaning & Alternatives)
- Best Ways To Respond To “Hope All is Well” (Formally and Informally)
- “Thank You For the Heads-Up”: Meaning, Usage and Alternatives
- “What Are You Up To” Meaning and Response
I'm an Irish tutor and founder of TPR Teaching. I started teaching in 2016 and have since taught in the UK, Spain, and online.
I love learning new things about the English language and how to teach it better. I'm always trying to improve my knowledge, so I can better meet the needs of others!
I enjoy traveling, nature walks, and soaking up a new culture. Please share the posts if you find them helpful!