This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclaimer.
Landi English is an online education company that provides Chinese children with native English teachers.
If you are from the U.S. or Canada and you are looking for an online ESL company, this may be the one for you!
In this Landi English review, we will discuss the following:
What is Landi
You may also be interested in: The Best English Teaching Companies in 2022.
Landi English is an educational company based in China. It is one of the leading educational companies for young students in China.
Landi English was awarded “The Great Brand” by China Central Television. They collaborate with Oxford University Press to develop suitable content for young language learners.
Landi is built on an instructional strategy called peer instruction. Peer learning is when students interact with each other to attain educational goals.
It is found that peer study is more effective than one-on-one classes and class-wide discussions. This is why Landi English adopts a 1-on-2 classroom model.
- TPR Teaching is currently recruiting U.S. and Canadian teachers for the role
- Bachelor’s degree or above
- An ESL certificate, such as a TEFL, a TESOL or CELTA
- A trainable applicant
- 18-hour weekly commitment
- No teaching experience required
While Landi does hire from other native-speaking countries, they are currently looking for more US and Canadian teachers to fill their teaching roles. If you are eligible to work in the US or Canada and speak English at an idiomatic level, Landi is looking to hire you!
A TEFL is not required in the interview. However, it is required before you start teaching. Therefore, it might be a good idea to get your TEFL certificate before you apply, as it might improve your starting rate.
Alternatively, if you are thinking about teaching as a long-term career or you are hoping to teach abroad, I highly suggest the TEFL Academy’s government-regulated level 5 course. This course will provide you with all the preparation and knowledge you need as an ESL teacher.
- Access to a computer or laptop and a smartphone
- Headset with microphone and webcam
- A quiet, clean teaching environment
- Internet 3 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload speed (wired DSL preferred)
- Teachers earn up to $18 USD per hour
- $13-$15 base salary
- Bonuses and incentives available
Teachers typically earn up to $18 per hour. This includes a base rate and some bonuses and incentives provided that the
While Landi’s pay is not the most competitive, it helps that there is at least a 90% booking rate!
Classes and Scheduling
- Teach on Landi’s platform
- Students are between 4 to 12 years old
- Each class is 25 minutes
- Up to two students in each class
- All lesson material provided
- Classes between 6pm-9pm BJT
- 18 hours per week minimum
Teachers don’t have to plan any lessons. Landi have their own platform and lesson materials for the teachers.
Classes are usually one-on-two and only twenty-five minutes long. The teacher is required to give feedback to the students after class.
Landi is currently looking for ESL teachers from the US and Canada. They even give teachers a second chance to pass the hiring process if they feel they have the potential to pass.
Steps to apply to Landi:
- Fill out the application form here
- Have an interview (self-introduction and demo)
- Receive offer
- Complete the online training (self-study and assessment)
- Create a Landi profile
- Mock lesson will be conducted on the platform with student consultant
Make sure you make a good impression at the demo and self-introduction as this will determine your starting pay.
A NC briefing-Nesting coach is Landi support staff member who is assigned to help you with the process and supports you through your teaching period at Landi.
Probation is up to six weeks and the contracts are one year long.
Landi Reviews: The Pros and the Cons
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of building your ESL teaching profile at Landi.
- No lesson planning
- A stable schedule
- Students are fixed to the teacher
- Helpful team with supportive Nesting Coach
Teachers enjoy seeing the same faces each week. Landi is an ideal position for those who want to earn an income while travelling, and it is considered an “easy” way to earn an income.
The class sizes are small, and the support system is there for you should you have any issues.
- No advancement
- Get up early
- You need to be available 6 days per week
There is not much flexibility in this job, considering that teachers work six days per week. Absence or lateness may result in teachers losing bonuses.
Many teachers are unhappy with the pay, as Landi cut the pay during the pandemic.
As an independent contractor, you are responsible for paying your own taxes.
Landi English is a suitable opportunity for new or experienced teachers who wish to work online. The teacher will need to be able to dedicate at least eighteen hours per week to the role.
Teachers will be able to bond with students as they have regulars each week and therefore have more predictable hours and salaries.
If you can accept these conditions, then by all means, apply and start teaching online!
- TEFL vs TESOL– What’s the Difference
- Teaching English Online Companies
- How to Teach English Online Guide
- Best Webcams for Teaching Online
- Accept Payments with Transferwise
- Teach English Abroad in Spain
I'm an Irish tutor and founder of TPR Teaching. I started teaching in 2016 and have since taught in the UK, Spain, and online.
I love learning new things about the English language and how to teach it better. I'm always trying to improve my knowledge, so I can better meet the needs of others!
I enjoy traveling, nature walks, and soaking up a new culture. Please share the posts if you find them helpful!