Are you considering applying for a job that allows you to work from home but you don’t know where to get started? If you are from the U.S. or Canada, a job at VIPKid may be a good option for you.
In this post, we are going to discuss VIPKid review and pay. This will help you make an informed decision about teaching online, and if you meet the requirements, you can apply to VIPKid below or check out the other jobs in our job section.
Topics to Cover
- About VIPKid
- What are the requirements to teach at VIPKid?
- How Much Do You Get Paid with VIPKid?
- VIPKid Teacher Reviews
- VIPKid Application Process to Getting Hired
- VIPKid Lesson Structure and Scheduling Hours
- How VIPKid Make Payments
- VIPKid Contract Requirements
- VIPKid Taxes
- Our Recommendation to Help You Get Started
VIPKID was founded in the year 2013. It is an online English teaching company that’s based in Beijing. It aims at teaching English to Chinese kids of average age, 4-12 years.
It also has a record of over half a million students, with more than one hundred thousand teachers. The company has grown very fast over the years and has been listed in the top ten places to work in 2020 by Glassdoor.
Top 10 Best Places to Work in 2020: VIPKidGlassdoor
Unfortunately, we’ve just received word that VIPKid classes are coming to a close.
There is no point in signing up at this time.
Check out Cambly or our other online teaching opportunities here.
What are the teaching requirements for VIPKid?
There is a set of criteria when it comes to hiring an online English teacher in VIPKID. The process is thorough, and one will undergo a procedural screening process before getting hired.
- A bachelor’s degree– you are supposed to be a graduate from a recognized institution that is accepted by the management.
- One should also be a native English speaker.
- At least 2 years of teaching experience (recommended)
- You should be eligible to work in North America, Canada or the UK
- A teaching certificate such as a TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, etc.
- You are also checked on criminal records and other law verification reports although it may not be listed.
VIPKid is looking for experienced teachers who have a bachelor’s degree in any given subject. You must be eligible to work in North America or Canada, however, you are free to travel wherever you choose.
VIPKid also requires a teaching certificate, such as a TEFL, TESOL, CELTA etc. If you do not have a teaching certificate, Vipkid has a special TESOL you can complete in a matter of hours. You can complete this before signing the contract.
Alternatively, check out The TEFL Academy Level-5 qualification if you are more serious about teaching English. This is helpful to teachers who are considering traveling abroad or want a higher-paying teaching job as it is the equivalent level of a CELTA but a fraction of the cost.
Teaching experience can also include mentoring, coaching or tutoring.
- Have a laptop, desktop, MAC or Surface.
- The device should have at least 8 GB ram, windows 7 and above, 4 GB ram, Intel core i5 CPU and above.
- A dedicated headset, microphone and webcam
- Your internet connection should be at least 20 Mbps. Check your internet speed.
- Have the latest flash version.
- The chrome version should be chrome 58 or latest.
Salary – how much do teachers get paid?
Their salaries are high compared to other firms. There are several ways to get paid in VIPKID.
- VIPKid offer $15-$22 per hour during normal lessons.
- You can get more money through lessons that earn bonuses and incentives.
- Short-Notice Bonus — courses booked within 24-hours will earn a $2 bonus
- There are VIPKid referral programs which also boost your monthly earnings greatly.
The base rate is determined by a number of factors, such as qualifications, teacher experience and the demo lesson at the interview stage.
The more hours you teach with VIPKid, the more money you can earn. There are many opportunities to earn extra with the bonuses and incentives scheme, and teachers can earn up to $22 per hour.
They also have “perk” with partners like Amazon, TurboTax and more.
Review – what do teachers think of VIPKid?
VIPKid is a highly commended online ESL company to work for, with over 90% of staff recommending it to a friend and a 4.3 out of 5 star rating on Glassdoor.
Pros of VIPKid
Most teachers working at Vipkid have praised the good terms of payment and contracts. Teachers also have commented on the flexibility of the schedule fitting their own. Teachers love being able to work from home and can even take a break from teaching when needed.
They also provide teachers with a TESOL course if you are not already a certified teacher.
Top 10 Best Places to Work 2020Glassdoor
Cons of VIPKid
Some teachers have left reviews complaining of the strict cancellations in their contracts. There are reviews that some teachers have to work odd hours since VIPKID schedules use Beijing time.
It also may take up to one month to get a steady schedule, as parents and students try out new teachers.
You may also be interested in: The best English Teaching Companies in 2022.
How do you apply for a job in VIPKid?
The hiring process in VIPKid is quick and streamlined to accomodate the needs of the teachers.
Screening of Online Application
You will provide your credentials, such as your name, gender, country, phone number address, and zip code. You will also enter your highest level of education and number of years of teaching experience with kids.
This does not have to be a teaching experience in the classroom. It could be child-minding, nannying, or home-schooling for example.
After submitting your credentials, you can do your demo. There are three options:
- Schedule Interview- join a 30-minute demo session live with an interviewer.
- Smart Demo- to be completed on your smartphone. Shortest demo and most recommended.
- Recorded Demo- Do a five minute recorded demo.
It is recommended that you complete the demo interview using the new smart demo option. The smart demo will give you a quick five question quiz to complete and will give you two and a half minutes to teach a demo slide. They will even provide an example video to help you and you can rerecord it as many times as you want.
Tips for Teachers!
Make sure to give the lessons lots of energy to pass the interview. The more positive energy and enthusiasm you can throw into the interview, the better. No monotone voices; children should look forward to seeing you.
When completing the demo lesson you will discuss your ESL skills and how you will work with a beginner students. It is helpful to prepare for the slides by checking them in advance.
You should have a bright, colorful background set up for your demo interview. Possible ideas for background ideas include a map, some props and a poster with your name.
Watch videos and read materials to learn about Vipkid technology, standards and curriculum.
After going through step 1 and 2 successfully, you enter into mock classes. You are sent lessons to prepare and present them to a mock class mentor. This is a good time to practice your teaching skills to one of the Vipkid teachers.
They offer two levels; LEVEL 2&3, LEVEL 4& 5 which serves as a basis of your certification. You can get certified to teach at all levels so your profile is available to even more students.
If you don’t have a teaching certificate, you will be required to do a VIPKid TESOL course. This can be completed in just a few hours.
After all the above steps, you now sign the contract and become a VIPKid teacher. You will fill out your profile on their website and they will complete a background check. Overall, the hiring process takes 7-10 days.
Lessons and Schedule
- One-on-one 25 minute English classes
- It is recommended to enter your weekly availability one month in advance
- Teachers teach any student who books their class
- All lesson material is provided.
- No minimum hours required
- Work 6pm-9pm weekdays Beijing Time (BJT)
- Work 9am-9pm Saturdays and Sundays (BJT)
Teachers teach any students who book their classes, so they are not necessarily regular students. Teachers may review the lesson material before class and teach the material provided. This means there is minimal teacher prep time, and teachers give the students feedback at the end of class.
They have 7 days in a weekly schedule. The classes are scheduled based on Beijing time. VIPKid allows the teacher to choose the number of lessons they want to teach. They recommend teaching minimum 7.5 hours per week which will give you a higher possibility of being booked.
You can teach as much or as little as you want each month. You could also be given VIPKid short notice classes and trial lessons.
You have a 5-minute break between classes to write the student’s feedback.
- Teachers can choose to get paid weekly, bi-weekly or monthly
- Payments are made via Paypal or bank transfer
The minimum contract length is 6 months and can be renewed. Please inform VIPKid two weeks in advance if you want an extended period of time off during your contract. Vipkid do their best to ensure a steady stream of students.
Teachers are responsible for their own taxes as independent contractors. This will vary depending on your state law and tax jurisdictions.
We recommend VIPKid as a trustworthy online ESL company.
If you have any further questions, write to us in the comments section below or contact us.
Do you need to know Chinese to work at VIPKid?
You don’t need to speak any Chinese to teach at VIPKid. It is recommended to provide learners with a fully immersive English learning experience.
What is the average VIPKid salary?
The average VIPKid salary is $18 per hour.
Is VIPKid worth it for new teachers?
VIPKid is worth it as it is a remote job and offers a lot of opportunities for teachers to earn some income. You need to put in a lot of hours for VIPKid to be really worthwhile. The more hours you work, the more you get paid.
- My First Day as a Vipkid Teacher
- Time Converter Beijing Time
- Teach English Online with Qkids
- Teach English Online with SayABC
- Teach English Online with Palfish
- Teach English Online with Dada
I'm an Irish tutor and founder of TPR Teaching. I started teaching in 2016 and have since taught in the UK, Spain, and online.
I love learning new things about the English language and how to teach it better. I'm always trying to improve my knowledge, so I can better meet the needs of others!
I enjoy traveling, nature walks, and soaking up a new culture. Please share the posts if you find them helpful!