There is some confusion over the correct spelling of this word, with “volumn” and “volume” appearing in use.
However, according to the dictionaries, the correct spelling is “volume”. “Volumn” is not a correct word.
Volumn is an incorrect spelling of the word “volume”. If you search Google for “volumn” you will probably find some typos as this is not a proper word.
Other words with similar spelling to “volumn” are “column,” “violin” and “villain,” if these are the words you are looking for.
The word “volume” is the correct spelling of this word. The word can be abbreviated as “vol.”
This word has a few different meanings, including the quantity of something that can be contained within a particular space (length x breadth x height= volume).
The word “volume” is often used when talking about books and other publications. For example, volume can be a book part of a larger collection of books.
It can be used to measure the degree of sound, as in “the volume of the music was too loud.”
Other Common Misspellings
Yikes! Read some other common misspellings in the English language:
- Hanged Up The Phone or Hung Up The Phone? Which is Correct?
- Kindergarden or Kindergarten? How to Spell Correctly!
- Hardwork or Hard Work? Hardworking or Hard-working?
- Chris’s, Chris’ or Chrises? Which is correct?
- No’s vs Nos vs Noes: Plural of Yes and No
Is volumn an old spelling?
Words that were once popular but are no longer used are known as archaic words. Some users online make the assumption that volumn is an archaic word.
If you want to see how often “volumn” and “volume” have been used in books, you can use Google Ngram Viewer. This tool lets you see how a particular word has been used over time.
As you can see from the graph below, “volume” has always been the spelling used since the 1800s.
Examples of Sentences with “Volume”
- The volume of the container is 10 liters.
- He turned up the volume on the stereo.
- She read from the volume of poetry.
- She turned down the volume on the TV.
- The library has over two thousand volumes.
Dictionaries list “volume” as the correct spelling of this word, while “volumn” is not a recognised word. If you are not sure how to spell a word, it is always best to check a dictionary.